Paleo BBQ Sauce Recipe
Recipe type: Condiment
I do a fair amount of grilling and have been needing a new BBQ sauce to replace those high sugar ones that I used to buy. The reason I actually wanted to make a barbecue sauce today was actually for a slow cooker recipe. I have never made a sauce before, so I checked out a few recipe sites for some ideas. I used a recipe from PrimallyInspired.com to give me a base, then changed a few things along they way. The sauce is a little spicy but better than the jars I was buying at the supermarket!
- **FYI - this makes A LOT of sauce, so if you don't plan on doing a lot with it in the next couple of weeks, you might want to half everything.
- 1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 12 ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup of pure honey
- ⅓ cup of molasses
- 4 tbls butter
- 2 tbls liquid hickory smoke (add a little more if you want more of a hickory taste/scent)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- dash of kosher salt
- This is an easy one!
- Throw all of the ingredients in a pot. Let it cook on low for 20-25 minute, stirring occasionally. Add any extra spices during the cooking to make it spicier or more flavorful to your liking.
- It might be best to store the sauce in a mason jar when you're done.